Skip to content


Schedule Your Consultation

Call Today: 954-463-8100


Homeowners should read and understand their policies and discuss the policy with their insurance agent. A typical “all-risk” policy likely does not cover all types of hurricane damage. Make sure that you have a separate flood policy if your home or business was damaged by flood waters. It is also important to be aware that separate coverage limits apply for different types of losses. For example, a hurricane may not only cause damage to the building structure but it can also damage your personal property inside the home. Additionally, you may have to temporarily re-locate while the damages are repaired.  Understanding your insurance policy can help you prepare how your claim and damages are filed.


When filing your insurance claim with your insurance company, it is important to document everything. You should photograph the interior and exterior of the building as well as take several photographs of each room. Be sure to photograph all personal property as well including furniture and appliances. If you have receipts for personal property, save them digitally as well. These photographs and receipts can prove to be valuable evidence to support your claim.


As soon as you can, assess the entire damage to your home. Assessing the damage includes taking photographs and videos of everything inside and outside of the home. Many times, a professional should be contacted to assist you with documenting the damage and providing an estimate that you can show the insurance company. Remember to document as much as possible BEFORE any repairs are made. At this point, you may want to proceed with filing the insurance claim with your insurance carrier. You may want to consider hiring a professional such as a public adjuster to assist you with the claims process. If you feel that the insurance company did not properly adjust your claim, you have the right to challenge the decision. 

At this time you may want to consult with an attorney who has experience in Property Insurance Claims. The Mineo Salcedo Law Firm ONLY handles property insurance claims. 

Our attorneys are available for a FREE consultation.