Ronald Armbrust’s practice encompasses first party insurance coverage, bad faith, auto accident, premises liability, toxic tort, mass tort, construction defect and products liability litigation.
His engineering background has proven to be particularly useful in products liability litigation, defending design and construction defect claims and prosecuting complex technical subrogation matters.
Mr. Armbrust’s clients have included national department stores, electrical generating facilities, oil refineries, paper mills, insurance companies, architects, engineers and product manufacturers.
Mr. Armbrust has served as lead counsel in a substantial number of lawsuits. His experience includes catalytic crackers, gas transmission lines, cast iron drainage pipe, generators, steam turbines, commercial garage doors, reciprocating and rotary compressors, shut down devices and safety switches, oil and grain storage tanks, steam boilers, water sensing devices, ash handling equipment, aluminum furnaces, gas and coal fired furnaces, refractories, valves, air bags, hydraulic systems, trash handling and off-road heavy equipment. In toxic tort litigation, he has represented clients in matters involving diethylene glycol poisoning and carbon monoxide poisoning. In mass tort litigation, he has represented clients in litigation involving factor concentrate/HIV infection, asbestosis and silicosis.
A selection of his representative cases includes:
- Successfully represented a defendant in a trial to verdict relative to a personal injury rear-end auto accident, prevailing on the property damage counter-claim.
- Successfully represented a manufacturer of scavenger trucks in a products liability/personal injury action in a federal court trial to verdict
- Successfully represented three product manufacturers in silicosis matters, having all cases dismissed.
- Successfully defended a consortium of fire insurance carriers in a four- month trial to verdict in federal court where the insured was a power utility.
- Successfully represented an insurance carrier in a first party/bad faith litigation where the insured was an oil refiner and the subject matter was the efficacy of a newly installed catalytic cracker.
- Successfully represented a Big Ten university in a trial to verdict relative to a design and construction defect/structural collapse.
- Successfully represented a computer manufacturer in a lengthy AAA arbitration hearing in a commercial litigation case involving a breach of contract.
- Successfully represented an insurer for a national oil refinery in a products liability and negligence suit relative to an explosion and destruction of one of its oil refineries.
- Successfully represented an insurance company that issued a difference in conditions policy versus a boiler and machinery carrier where the insured was a national paper manufacturer relative to the defective construction/defective design of one if its paper mills.
- Successfully represented an insurance carrier in a matter where intentional acts/additional coverage extensions were at issue.
Mr. Armbrust is a member of The Florida Bar, Broward County Bar Association, Illinois State Bar Association and the U.S. Virgin Islands Bar Association.
Mr. Armbrust holds the AV® Preeminent, 5.0 out of 5.0, Peer Review Rating from Martindale- Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability. He has been ranked by Legal Leaders as a Top Rated Lawyer in General Practice, Litigation, Insurance, and Products Liability.
Insurance & Reinsurance
Architects, Engineers & Design Professionals
B.S., Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering, University of Illinois
M.S., Civil Engineering, University of Illinois
J.D., Loyola University Chicago
School of Law
Illinois (inactive) U.S. Virgin Islands (inactive)
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. District Court, Northern
District of Florida
U.S. District Court, Middle
District of Florida
U.S. District Court, Southern
District of Florida